First Posted: 8/7/2014
Back Mountain families will be in focus this fall when the Dallas Harvest Festival hosts a family-oriented photo contest. The contest, sponsored by Generation-to-Generation (G2G), will put local family photos – old and new – front and center and offer cash prizes for winners, too.
Dubbed the Year of the Family, this year’s Dallas Harvest Festival will offer entrants the opportunity to showcase Back Mountain family photos in one of three categories: Best Overall Family Photo, Most Generations in a Photo, and the Most Historic Family Photo. Each category will be recognized with first, second and third place winners.
The Dallas Harvest Festival Steering Committee will collect the photos for judging a few days ahead of the festival and then showcase the winning photos at the annual festival from noon to 5 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 14. G2G is providing the cash awards and other funding to run the contest.
The contest is open to anyone, but the subjects must contain at least one past or present Back Mountain resident. The setting does not have to be in the Back Mountain.
Here are the rules and regulations:
Please do not leave any original photographs for judging. Any photos left for the contest must be a copy.
Photo entries must be marked for one of these categories:
1) Best Overall Family Photo – Judging criteria will be the most original family photo
2) Most Generations in Photo – Judging criteria will be the greatest number of generations in one photo
3) Oldest Generational Photo – Judging criteria will be the age of the photo along with the composition of the photo. If you have the original, please bring it for examination, however you will not be asked to leave it. Please bring a copy of the original for judging purposes. In addition, a brief history and/or background of photo must accompany the entry
• Black & white or color photographs, framed, will be accepted, Please submit copies only of photos entered in Categories 1 & 2; both a copy and an original for Category 3
• One photograph per category/per entrant, for a total of three entries per person
• Photos up to 11”x14” will be accepted; exception for Category 3: original may be larger
• Photo must have been never previously published for commercial purposes (except Category 3)
• Submitted photographs must be framed copies (except Category 3)
• Entrants/subjects must be Back Mountain families – past or present
Entries should be brought – Monday through Thursday, Sept. 8-11 between the hours of 10 a.m. and 3 p.m – to the Dallas Township Municipal Building, 2919 SR 309 Highway. Entries in the Oldest Generational Photos should bring the original at the time of drop off, but will not leave the original for formal judging.
Judging will take place from 3 to 5 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 12. Winning photographs will be displayed during Best of Open Mic (BOOM) from 6 to 9 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 12 at the Masonic Lodge, 60 Main St., Dallas and will be on display in the Dallas Borough Building conference room during the Dallas Harvest Festival. Winners will also be announced on stage at the Dallas Harvest Festival on Sunday, Sept. 14t Winning photos will be published in The Dallas Post after the festival.
Photos will be available for pick-up between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 15 and 16. To make other arrangements, call the Festival Hotline at 570-675-1950.