First Posted: 3/27/2014
By Samantha Weaver
* It was beloved and sometimes maligned British Prime Minister Sir Winston Churchill who made the following sage observation: “Sometimes it is not enough that we do our best; we must do what is required.”
* If you’re of a certain age, you might be surprised to learn that the Bruce Willis film “Die Hard” is older than the World Wide Web.
* Those who study such things say that a new mom accumulates anywhere from 450 to 700 hours of lost sleep during the first year after her baby is born.
*¥ You may be surprised to learn that the average American man spends 10,585 hours hanging out in a bar. Or you may not.
* Those who are looking for love might want to consider the following statistics: In a 2013 survey, a quarter of adults said that their spouse/partner is not the type of person they thought they’d settle down with. More than half of respondents said that their significant other is their complete opposite.
* If you just can’t seem to resist shouting sometimes, you may suffer from klazomania.
* Nobel and Pulitzer prize-winning author John Steinbeck did not start out his career as a great success. In fact, his first novel, “Cup of Gold,” was a complete flop, not even earning enough money to cover the advance the publishing house paid him. He was not discouraged, however; after the book’s publication Steinbeck wrote to a friend, “The book was an immature experiment. … The next one won’t be good, nor the next one, but about the fifth, I think I will be above the average.”
* Even a chameleon that is born blind can take on the colors of its environment.
Thought for the day: “If a window of opportunity appears, don’t pull down the shades.” — Tom Peters