Fire at historic Tunkhannock hotel ruled accidental


First Posted: 7/23/2009

TUNKHANNOCK – A cigarette is to blame for a fire that forced the evacuation of a historic hotel Thursday morning.

Triton Hose Co. #1 Fire Chief Paul Shaffer said a cigarette fell into a clothes basket inside a third floor room at the Prince Hotel at about 6 a.m. A man in the room noticed the flames and tossed the burning basket out a window, Shaffer said.

Shaffer said the man, whose name wasn’t released, suffered smoke inhalation and was treated at Tyler Memorial Hospital in Tunkhannock.

The room suffered minor smoke damage, Shaffer said.

Tenants and occupants of the hotel were permitted back inside.

Shaffer said the fire was accidental.

The Prince Hotel was built in 1844, according to the hotel’s Web site.

comments powered by Disqus