DALLAS — The Back Mountain Memorial Library is currently seeking volunteers who love to paint and stencil furniture or picture frames, sew or embroider pillows, and add their own creative flair to help “spruce” up items donated for the annual auction. Volunteers can sign up at the library and work on the items at their own convenience.
The library welcomes local artists and photographers to exhibit their work on the Art Wall located in the library’s Reference Room. Art work is displayed for one month intervals, and artists may price their work to sell. Call the library for more information and to reserve a month to exhibit.
The library has the following programs and events scheduled for October and November. Register early, as space is limited. Call the library at 570-675-1182 for more information and to pre-register for any of the following:
• Color Therapy Fridays – This creative group will meet from 11 a.m. to noon on the following Fridays: Oct. 28, Nov. 11 and 18.
Join in for a relaxing mid-morning of coloring intricate designs and patterns. Coloring generates wellness and stimulates brain areas related to motor skills, the senses and creativity. Bring a coloring book and pencils or use available supplies. Pre-registration is required for these free sessions and may be made by calling the library.
• Friends of the Library Fundraiser at Leggio’s Italian Restaurant, from 5 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, Nov. 8. A percentage of the total sales (bar not included) during that time, including eat-in, take out and gift certificates purchased, will be donated to the library. Look for the library display at the front of the restaurant and register to win a Leggio’s gift card.
• The Thursday Morning Book Discussion Group will meet 10 a.m. Nov. 17. This group meets on the third Thursday of the month and welcomes new members. Call the library for the current month’s selected book title.
There are still openings for the toddlers’ and 3-5-year-olds’ Fall Storytimes. Call the library to pre-register. Storytimes began the week of Oct. 16 and will end the week of Dec. 4.
Storytimes are as follows:
• Toddlers (12 months to 2 years) 9:45 to 10:30 a.m. Tuesdays
• Toddlers (2 years) (Mother Goose on the Loose) 11 to 11:45 a.m. Tuesdays
• Three to 5 year olds 10 to 11 a.m. Wednesdays or 10 to 11 a.m. Thursdays
Other children’s events
• Halloween STEM Fun! – Saturday, Oct. 29 at 11 a.m. Dress in costume and come to the library to have some fun with STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) projects. This program is open to all elementary age students.
Dallas Elementary teacher Heather Pitcavage, will challenge the students with some spooky Halloween STEM problems as they visit the different stations. Guess how many candy corns are in the pumpkin and win a prize! Take home some treats too. Call the library to pre-register for the program.
• Boom in the Night! – Saturday, Nov. 12, 11 a.m. For those who missed the excitement at Misericordia University when things “went boom in the night,” come to the Back Mountain Memorial Library for some science fun! The students of the chemistry department under the guidance of their professor, Anna Fedor, will present some new experiments to young patrons to excite their interest in the sciences. All school age students are invited to attend and join in the experiments. Call the library to register.
Information provided by the Back Mountain Memorial Library.